New Alfalfa Varieties Offer Growers Choices for Multiple Environments in 2011
Pioneer Hi-Bred provides high-quality varieties to help growers match field conditions
DES MOINES, Iowa, March 7, 2011 - New alfalfa varieties from Pioneer Hi-Bred, a DuPont business, offer growers more choices to meet their individual needs. This includes three new Pioneer® brand alfalfa varieties with the Genuity® Roundup Ready® (RR) gene, adding to Pioneer’s extensive variety lineup.
Pioneer recently advanced varieties with the Roundup Ready trait for planting this spring – 54VR03 (RR), 53VR03 (RR), 58R51 (RR) - stemming from the recent approval of Roundup Ready alfalfa for the U.S. market.
"Pioneer offers growers in all alfalfa-growing regions a number of varieties to meet their specific disease or insect challenges,” said Robin Newell, Pioneer marketing manager for forages. “Growers can choose from varieties with the Roundup Ready trait or conventional varieties including high-yielding, high-quality, non-lodging or winterhardy options.”
In addition to the 2011 advancements, Pioneer also offers two other options for spring planting, 54R01 (RR) and 54R02 (RR).
Pioneer alfalfa offerings with the Roundup Ready trait include:
- 54R01 (RR), broadly adapted, selected for high forage quality, including resistance to Aphanomyces race 1, anthracnose, Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt. It also is resistant to northern root rot nematode and stem nematode.
- 54R02 (RR), broadly adapted variety with high yield and an excellent disease package including resistance to Aphanomyces race 1, anthracnose, Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt. Also resistant to spotted and pea aphids.
- 54VR03 (RR), adapted to western alfalfa-growing environments, has a strong defensive package with resistance to anthracnose, Phytophthora root rot, Aphanomyces race 1 and pea aphid.
- 53VR03 (RR) is a northern-adapted variety. This winterhardy variety is paired with a strong defensive package and has resistance to Aphanomyces race 1, anthracnose, Phytophthora root rot, Verticillium wilt and Fusarium wilt.
- 58R51 (RR) is a non-dormant option for the Southwest; this variety is resistant to spotted aphid, Phytophthora root rot, stem nematode and blue aphid 1.
"Alfalfa is no longer a one-size-fits-all crop,” Newell said. “Pioneer has a long tradition of providing its customers the broadest package of choices to fit their individual needs and help their bottom line. Adding the Roundup Ready technology to Pioneer alfalfa varieties adds yet another choice to our already extensive lineup."
The Roundup Ready trait enables growers to control grass and broadleaf weeds with a single glyphosate herbicide application, resulting in a simplified, cost-effective weed management program while maintaining crop and feed safety. This weed control program can lead to cleaner, higher-quality hay.
To learn more about Pioneer brand alfalfa varieties, visit www.pioneer.com or contact a local Pioneer sales professional.
Pioneer Hi-Bred, a DuPont business headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, is the world's leading developer and supplier of advanced plant genetics, providing high-quality seeds to farmers in more than 90 countries. Pioneer provides agronomic support and services to help increase farmer productivity and profitability and strives to develop sustainable agricultural systems for people everywhere. Science with Service Delivering Success™.
DuPont is a science-based products and services company. Founded in 1802, DuPont puts science to work by creating sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. Operating in more than 90 countries, DuPont offers a wide range of innovative products and services for markets including agriculture and food; building and construction; communications; and transportation.
# # #
For additional information about our company or products, check our website at www.pioneer.com or follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pioneerhibred.
800-247-6803, ext. 56908
® Roundup Ready, Roundup and Genuity are registered trademarks used under license from Monsanto Company.