Effect of Increased Seeding Rate on Corn Yield in the Southern U.S.
- Evaluate the effect of increasing the seeding rate of Pioneer® brand Optimum® AQUAmax™ hybrid P1498HR (HX1, LL, RR2) 5,000 seeds per acre above a grower-selected seeding rate on yield in the southern U.S.
- Identify situations where increased seeding rates are likely to be profitable.
||8-row plots, on-farm
||Single rep strip trials
Increased 5,000 seeds/acre
|Number of Locations:
||34 (see map)
|P1498HR seeding rate on-farm trial locations in 2012.
- Corn yield increased an average of 6.2 bu/acre when seeding rate was increased 5,000 seeds/acre above the grower-selected seeding rate.
- Yield increased with the higher seeding rate at 82% of 34 southern locations.
- Economically profitable yield increases occurred at 62% of locations.
- Maximum response to increased seeding rates occurred at locations where initial grower seeding rates were less than 25,000 seeds/acre regardless of yield level.
- Limited benefit to increased seeding rates was observed at locations that had initial seeding rates >30,000 seeds/acre.
|Effect of Increasing the Seeding Rate of P1498HR 5,000 Seeds/Acre on
Yield Considering Various Initial Grower Seeding Rates.
|Initial Grower Seeding Rate||Number of Locations||Probability of Yield Increase||Probability of Economical Yield Increase||Ave. Yield Increase (bu/acre)||Ave. Location Yield at Grower Rate (bu/acre)
PIONEER® brand products are provided subject to the terms and conditions of purchase which are part of the labeling and purchase documents. 2012 data are based on average of all comparisons made in 34 locations through November 2, 2012. Multi-year and multi-location is a better predictor of future performance. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection. Product responses are variable and subject to a variety of environmental, disease, and pest pressures. Individual results may vary.