Understanding Corn Seed Sizing
Impact of Seed Size
- Kernel size has minimal effect on seed vigor, field emergence or final yield.
- Seed is sized to maintain uniformity based on planter requirements.
- The most important factor in corn yield is the choice of hybrid (genetics). Planting the right hybrid with the desired agronomic traits will provide the best overall yield results.
Seed-related choices and their relative impact on corn grain yield.
- Nearly all kernel sizes can be successfully planted with all planter types. Additional adjustment may be required in some cases.
Kernel size-plantability guidelines for air, vacuum, finger pick-up and plate-type planters.
- For the most precise recommendations, you can directly access information for individual seed batch numbers and your specific planter type with our Plantability Tool.
- The Pioneer® Field360™ Plantability app easily scans a seed tag to provide planter setting recommendations, maximizing planter performance and seed-drop accuracy. This tool is available for iPad®, iPhone® and Android™ devices currently.
How to Access the App