Walking Your Fields® Newsletter - Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma & Western Texas
Will It Pay? Understanding the Disease Triangle Can Help You Make Fungicide Decisions
- Start scouting for foliar diseases in corn just before tassel emergence
- Determine if all 3 legs of the disease triangle are present by answering these questions:
- What was the previous crop?
- What has the weather been like?
- Does the field have a history of disease?
- What is the resistance level of the hybrid?
Adult Corn Rootworm Management Critical for Pollination Success & Population Control
- Corn rootworm (CRW) silk feeding causes economic losses when not identified timely and properly controlled
- Properly timed foliar insecticide applications are highly effective in managing adult CRW to protect pollination and manage future populations
- DuPont Pioneer and university research has shown that yellow sticky traps are an easy, convenient and reliable method for estimating corn rootworm populations within a corn field
Evaluating Your Corn’s Pollination Success
- The number of kernels set per ear is determined near the time of pollination
- Pollen shed (anthesis) is controlled by a combination of genetic and environmental factors
- Pollination stress susceptible period extends from 1 week prior to silking to approximately 2 weeks after silking
- Multiple environmental factors can affect silk growth and pollination, including drought, intensive heat and insect silk clipping
Understanding Soybean Reproductive Growth Stages and Scouting Tips
- Identifying the correct growth stage of your soybeans is important for many in-season decisions
- In-season herbicide applications are commonly limited by reproductive stages R1-R3, depending on the individual herbicide label
- Understanding what pests to scout for at each reproductive stage will allow most economical return of in-season crop protection applications
Weather Explorer: A Field-Level Weather Tool from Encirca® Services
Weather Explorer, a free tool from Encirca® services, allows you to view current and historical weather information to see the potential impact on crop performance at the field level. Easily compare fields side-by-side to see how their environmental conditions may be different. Weather information includes precipitation, temperature, ET, GDUs, CHUs and solar radiation.
Get Fungicide Application Timing Right
Fungicide application timing is critical for protecting yield potential. Scout regularly to time applications for best control of gray leaf spot, southern rust, frogeye leaf spot, cercospora blight and leaf spot, and other diseases. Choose a fungicide that moves quickly into and throughout the plant.
THANK YOU FOR READING!
Pioneer® brand products are provided subject to the terms and conditions of purchase which are part of the labeling and purchase documents.
Encirca® services are provided subject to the terms and conditions of purchase which are part of the purchase documents.
Encirca® services provides estimates and management suggestions based on statistical and agronomic models. Encirca services is not a substitute for sound field monitoring and management practices. Individual results may vary and are subject to a variety of factors, including weather, disease and pest pressure, soil type and management practices.
ENCIRCA® SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND PIONEER MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, CONCERNING THE USE OF ENCIRCA SERVICES OR THE RESULTS OBTAINED THEREFROM, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WHICH ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT WILL PIONEER OR ITS AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE RELATING TO YOUR USE OF OR RELIANCE UPON ENCIRCA SERVICES.