DuPont™ LeadOff® Herbicide Preemergence for Pioneer® brand Soybeans with BOLT® Technology
- Pioneer® brand soybeans with BOLT® technology have enhanced tolerance to certain sulfonylurea (SU) herbicides which will allow greater flexibility with herbicides like DuPont™ LeadOff® and DuPont Basis® Blend.
- Multiple native SU-tolerance traits have been stacked together to create BOLT technology and provide greater tolerance to SU chemistries compared to soybeans with the DuPont™ STS® gene.
- Pioneer® varieties P49T09BR (MG 4.9) and P50T15BR (MG 5.0) were the first Pioneer brand soybean varieties released with BOLT technology.
- Evaluate the use of LeadOff herbicide preemergence on P49T09BR compared to another commonly used preemergence herbicide.
||Replicated on-farm strip trial
|Preemergence Herbicide Treatments:
||LeadOff herbicide 1.0 oz/acre
Boundary® herbicide 2 pt/acre
||April 15, 2015
Early soybean stands with preemergence applications of LeadOff (left) and Boundary (right) herbicides.
Pioneer variety P49T09BR treated with a preemergence application of Boundary (top image below) and LeadOff (bottom image below) herbicides in a Pioneer® GrowingPoint® agronomy research trial near Leland, Miss., in 2015.
- Pioneer® variety P49T09BR with BOLT® technology exhibited excellent tolerance to preemergence applications of LeadOff herbicide.
- Final stands were slightly higher in plots treated with LeadOff herbicide compared to Boundary herbicide (Figure 1).
- Faster early growth in LeadOff herbicide-treated plots resulted in faster canopy closure compared to Boundary herbicide-treated plots.
- Average soybean yield was 3.7 bu/acre greater with LeadOff herbicide-treated plots compared to Boundary herbicide-treated plots (Figure 2).
Figure 1. Final plant stands associated with preemergence herbicides near Leland, Miss., in 2015*
*Seeding rate 150,000 seed per acre. Means were not significantly different based on Tukey’s HSD test conducted at the alpha=0.05 level.
Pioneer® variety P49T09BR exhibiting excellent emergence and early growth after being treated with a preemergence application of LeadOff herbicide in a Pioneer® GrowingPoint® agronomy research trial near Leland, Miss., in 2015.
Figure 2. Soybean yield associated with preemergence herbicides near Leland, Miss., in 2015*
*Means were significantly different based on Tukey’s HSD test conducted at the alpha=0.05 level.
Canopy development in plots treated with preemergence applications of Boundary herbicide (top image below) vs. LeadOff herbicide (bottom image below) near Leland, Miss., in 2015.
Authors: Jeff Hollowell and Dan Poston
The foregoing is provided for informational use only. Please contact your Pioneer sales professional for information and suggestions specific to your operation. 2015 data are based on average of all comparisons made in one location through Nov.12, 2015. Multi-year and multi-location is a better predictor of future performance. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection. Product responses are variable and subject to a variety of environmental, disease, and pest pressures. Individual results may vary.
¹ All Pioneer products are varieties unless designated with LL, in which case some are brands. R - Contains the Glyphosate Tolerant trait.