Performance of Pioneer® Brand Soybeans with ILeVO® Seed Treatment in SCN and SDS Environments
Background and Objectives
- ILeVO® fungicide/nematicide seed treatment (active ingredient: fluopyram) provides protection of soybean seedlings from Fusarium virguliforme infection, the causal agent of sudden death syndrome (SDS). ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment also has activity against soybean cyst nematode (SCN).
- DuPont Pioneer researchers conducted trials in 2012 through 2015 evaluating ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment performance against SCN in soybeans.
- Research trials included ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment at two different rates – a lower rate intended for protection against SCN and a higher rate for protection against both SCN and SDS.
Years: 2012, 2013, 2014, & 2015
Plot Design: Replicated research trials
- FST + IST (fungicide seed treatment/insecticide seed treatment)*
- FST + IST + ILeVO fungicide: SCN rate (0.60 fl oz/140k unit)
- FST + IST + ILeVO fungicide: SCN/SDS rate (1.18 fl oz/140k unit)
*FST = EverGol® Energy fungicide + Allegiance® fungicide; IST = Gaucho® insecticide
SDS: A late-season (R3 or later) SDS assessment was made for each research location. Locations with soybeans exhibiting visual SDS symptomology were categorized as "SDS environments".
SCN: At planting, soil samples were taken from the non-protected check plots to determine the level of SCN infestation at each research location.
- Locations sampled and having > 200 cyst eggs/100cc were categorized as having moderate SCN infestation (Mod-SCN)
- Locations sampled and having < 200 cyst eggs/100cc were categorized as having low SCN infestations (Low-SCN).
SCN & SDS: Locations having both moderate SCN infestation and SDS symptomology were categorized as “Mod-SCN & SDS” environments.
- Across all locations and years, the FST + IST + ILeVO fungicide/ nematicide treatments increased soybean grain yield over the FST + IST check by an average of 1.4 bu/acre when ILeVO fungicide/ nematicide seed treatment was applied at the lower SCN rate, and 2.0 bu/acre when applied at the higher SDS/SCN rate (Figure 1).
- In low- or moderate-SCN environments, both rates of ILeVO fungicide/ nematicide seed treatment provided a similar yield advantage and win percentage over the base FST + IST (Figure 1 & Figure 2).
- In locations having both moderate SCN infestations and SDS symptomology, the higher ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment rate recommended for protection against both SCN and SDS provided a 6.4 bu/acre (98% wins) advantage over the FST + IST check, whereas the lower ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment rate recommended for SCN only increased yield 3.3 bu/acre (82% wins) (Figure 1 & Figure 2).
Figure 1. Yield advantage with ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment compared to the base FST + IST in SCN and SDS environments.
Figure 2. ILeVO fungicide/nematicide seed treatment performance in SCN and SDS environments - percent wins over the base FST + IST.
Authors: Keith O'Bryan and Meredith Burnison
2012-2015 data are based on average of all comparisons made in 165 locations through Nov 1, 2015. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection.