Agronomic Advantages of the 2018 Soybean Seed Treatment Product Offering
Introduction and Objective
- The 2018 Pioneer Premium Seed Treatment product offering includes DuPont™ Lumisena™ fungicide seed treatment (oxathiapiprolin) paired with EverGol® Energy fungicide seed treatment (prothioconazole, penflufen, metalaxyl) and Gaucho® insecticide seed treatment (imidacloprid).
- Lumisena™ fungicide seed treatment is a new proprietary technology providing protection against Phytophthora and downy mildew pathogens.
- EverGol Energy fungicide seed treatment contains three fungicides providing activity against Pythium seedling damping off, Fusarium root rot and Rhizoctonia root rot.
- Gaucho insecticide seed treatment provides protection against potential insect feeding from bean leaf beetles, thrips, and/or aphids.
- Research trials were conducted in 2016 and 2017 to compare untreated seed, the 2017 FST/IST Standard seed treatment, and the new 2018 Product Offering.
Table 1. Seed treatments evaluated in 2016 and 2017 research trials.
2017 Early Season Consistency
- In 2017 field trials, both the 2017 FST/IST Standard and the 2018 Product Offering seed treatments had consistently higher emergence scores and seedling vigor scores compared to the untreated control (Table 2).
- Seedling chlorosis scores were similar among treated and untreated entries.
Table 2. Emergence, seedling chlorosis, and vigor in 2017 field trials.
2016-2017 Yield Results
- The 2018 Product Offering had significantly higher yields (P-value <0.10) compared to the 2017 FST/IST Standard and untreated seed in both 2016 and 2017 (Figure 1).
- Across two years of testing the 2018 Product Offering averaged 1.0 bu/acre higher than to the 2017 FST/IST Standard, and 2.4 bu/acre higher than untreated seed.
Figure 1. Soybean yield in 2016 and 2017 seed treatment field research and 2-year average yields.
Authors: Jeff Hegstad and Keith O’Bryan
The foregoing is provided for informational use only. Please contact your Pioneer sales professional for information and suggestions specific to your operation. 2016-2017 data are based on average of all comparisons made in 132 locations through Dec. 1, 2017. Multi-year and multi-location is a better predictor of future performance. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection. Product responses are variable and subject to a variety of environmental, disease, and pest pressures. Individual results may vary. Components under the Pioneer Premium Seed Treatment offering for soybeans are applied at a DuPont Pioneer production facility or by an independent sales representative of Pioneer. Not all sales representatives offer treatment services, and costs and other charges may vary. See your Pioneer sales representative for details. Seed treatment offering exclusive to DuPont Pioneer and its affiliates. DuPont™ Lumisena™ fungicide seed treatment will be available commercially on Pioneer® brand soybeans in the United States for the 2018 crop year. See your local Pioneer sales representative for details. EverGol® is a registered trademark of Bayer.