Not Registered? Create An Account
Create an account and securely access exclusive agronomy and farm management personal account information.
Can't Log In?
Your account needs to be activated to log in. Check your email inbox for an activation email or call us to have the activation email resent.
Call us at 1-800-233-7333 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday for help.
Sunflower Red Seed Weevil
- Adult beetles are 1/8 inch long and have a long snout.
|Photo courtesy of North Dakota State Univ. Extension Entomology.
- Larvae are stout, C-shaped and can be found in a kernel.
- Adults emerge from the soil in early July and feed on bracts then lay eggs in seeds.
|Photo courtesy of the National Sunflower Association.
- Losses occur from physical and quality losses.
- Latin name: Smicronyx fulvus.
- Treat oil varieties when 2-4 weevils per plant are present.
- Apply insecticide when 30% of field is shedding. Apply in early morning to avoid bees.
- Delay harvest in heavily infested fields.