Intensive Corn Management Demonstration
- Compare corn yield performance using a system of aggressive soil fertility and pest management practices with a more conventional low-input system.
Ears from P1498HR (left) and P1420HR (right) at 32,000 plants/acre in the
intensive management system; Aug 13, 2012. Drought stress effects are
apparent on the P1420HR ears.
||May 12, 2012
||Four 10 x 17.4 ft plots per entry
||P1420HR (HX1,LL,RR2), P1498HR (HX1,LL,RR2)
||32,000 and 38,000 plants/acre
Intensive Management System
- Fertility program:
- 180 lbs/acre N preplant + 50 lb/acre sidedress N applied at V6 growth stage
- 120 lbs/acre P2O5, 30 lbs/acre sulfur, 3 lbs/acre zinc applied as MicroEssentials® SZ™
- Seed Treatment: PPST Poncho® 1250 + VOTiVO®
- Foliar fungicide/insecticide application: Aproach® Prima (6.8 oz/acre) + Prevathon® (20 oz/acre)
Conventional Management System
- Fertility program: 180 lbs/acre N preplant
- Seed treatment: PPST 250
- The Johnston farm experienced significant drought and heat stress in 2012. This study received a limited amount of irrigation (approximately 3 inches) on all plots, but not enough to eliminate drought stress as a yield-limiting factor.
- The two hybrids compared in the study included an Optimum® AQUAmax™ hybrid (P1498HR) and a comparative hybrid of similar maturity (P1420HR) with lower drought tolerance. The average yield of the Optimum AQUAmax hybrid was 27 bu/acre greater than that of the comparative hybrid.
- Average yield of both hybrids was slightly greater at 38,000 plants/acre than at 32,000 plants/acre.
- Intensive management practices increased average yield 33 bu/acre with P1420HR and 9 bu/acre with P1498HR.
- The greatest overall average yield (216.5 bu/acre) was achieved with P1498HR at 38,000 plants/acre in the intensive management system. P1420HR at 32,000 plants/acre in the conventional system had the lowest yield (165.5 bu/acre).
HX1 = Contains the Herculex® I Insect Protection trait for resistance to corn borer, LL = LibertyLink® gene, RR2 = Roundup Ready® Corn 2 gene, PPST = Pioneer Premium Seed Treatment.
PIONEER ® brand products are provided subject to the terms and conditions of purchase which are part of the labeling and purchase documents. 2012 data are based on average of all comparisons made in one location through October 3, 2012. Multi-year and multi-location is a better predictor of future performance. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection. Product responses are variable and subject to a variety of environmental, disease, and pest pressures. Individual results may vary.
® MicroEssentials is a registered trademark of The Mosaic Company.
DuPont™ Aproach® Prima is not registered for sale or use in the United States. No offer for sale, sale or use of this product is permitted prior to the issuance of the required EPA and state registrations. Aproach® Prima and Prevathon® are trademarks of DuPont.