Wheat Yield Response to Nitrogen Rate
- Measure grain yield, moisture, test weight and lodging of selected Pioneer® brand soft red winter wheat varieties to increasing nitrogen (N) rates.
- Determine optimum N rate influence on agronomic maximum yield and N rate by variety interactions.
Locations: Six locations in IL, IN, MI and OH
- Odin, IL (SO IL)
- Belleville, IL (SW IL)
- Princeton, IN (SO IN)
- Windfall, IN (C IN)
- Blissfield, MI (SE MI)
- Deshler, OH (NW OH)
0, 40, 80, 120, 160, and 200 lbs N/acre
Treatments were arranged in a two way factorial design with N rate as the main plot and variety as the sub plot with three replications. The SIU location had five replicates.
- Yield averaged over 92 bu/acre among all varieties, N rates and locations in this 2015-2016 trial
- Grain moisture averaged 12.4 percent and was not different among locations, N rates and varieties.
- Grain test weight averaged 55.8 lbs/bu and was not different among locations, N rates and varieties.
- Lodging varied among locations, however there was no significant difference in lodging among N rates, which may be partially explained by above average yield levels.
- Although yield varied among tested varieties when averaged across locations, yield was optimized at 120 lbs N/acre (Figure 1).
- All tested varieties responded similarly in yield with increasing N rate, there was no significant variety by N rate interaction (Figure 1).
Images of Pioneer® variety 25R77 with different N rates (lbs N/acre).
Author: Kirk Reese
The foregoing is provided for informational use only. Please contact your Pioneer sales professional for information and suggestions specific to your operation. 2016 data are based on average of all comparisons made in six locations through 8/12/16. Multi-year and multi-location is a better predictor of future performance. Do not use these or any other data from a limited number of trials as a significant factor in product selection. Product responses are variable and subject to a variety of environmental, disease, and pest pressures. Individual results may vary. Pioneer® brand products are provided subject to the terms and conditions of purchase which are part of the labeling and purchase documents.